TOEIC® Listening and Reading
For more than 35 years, the TOEIC Listening and Reading test has set the standard for assessing English-language listening and reading skills needed in the workplace, from beginner to advanced levels.
With more than 7 million tests administered each year, the TOEIC test is the world’s leading English-language assessment.
It is offered in Public Test Sessions every month, in several Canadian cities.
Schools and businesses can also offer the TOEIC Listening and Reading test to their clientele in private institutional or corporate test sessions.
TOEIC means Test of English for International Communication. The TOEIC Listening and Reading test is a 2-hour standardized paper-based, multiple-choice assessment. It is divided into two sections of 100 questions each.
The Listening section, which takes 45 minutes to complete, tests how well test-takers understand spoken English. They must listen to a variety of questions and short conversations recorded in English, then answer questions based on what they have heard.
The Reading section, which takes 75 minutes to complete, evaluates how well test-takers understand written English. They must read a variety of materials and then answer questions based on what they have read.
Results of the test, valid for 2 years, span between 10 and 990 points (5 to 495 points for each section) and are mapped on the CEFR scales.
The test content uses common everyday vocabulary, phrases and key expressions that reflect everyday tasks. Test results can provide information that enables:
- Individuals to enhance their resumes and succeed in the global workplace
- Academic institutions to ensure their students acquire the skills needed for success
- Businesses to fairly recruit, train and promote candidates and employees with the appropriate skills
- Language schools to easily add value to their program and motivate their learners
Get a Global Advantage
When taken together, the TOEIC Listening and Reading and the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests provide the most comprehensive, fair, reliable and recognized business English assessment. That’s why more than 14,000 organizations in 150 countries use the TOEIC tests to determine who has the skills to succeed in the workplace.
More for test-takers
- TOEIC Listening and Reading Public Test Sessions information
- Preparation tools
- Results Reprint Request
- Request to send the results to a third party organization
- TOEIC Listening and Reading score descriptors
- Mapping of the TOEIC tests on the CEFR
- Adding your TOEIC score to your LinkedIn profile
- Examinee Handbook