Based on the rich heritage of the TOEFL® test (Test of English as a Foreign Language), the TOEFL ITP test offers colleges and universities, English-language learning programs and other organizations the opportunity to administer a convenient, affordable and reliable assessment of academic English-language skills.
These organizations can offer the TOEFL ITP test to their clientele in institutional test sessions and thus choose the test date, group size and the purposes for which the test will be used.
The TOEFL ITP test is a paper-based, multiple-choice test that uses 100% academic content to evaluate the English-language proficiency of non-native English speakers. This allows academic institutions to assure success of prospective students in real-world academic settings. The test takes approximately 115 minutes to complete and evaluates skills in three areas.
- The Listening Comprehension section takes 35 minutes to complete and measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities.
- The Structure and Written Expression section takes 40 minutes to complete and measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English.
- The Reading Comprehension section takes 55 minutes to complete and measures the ability to read and understand academic reading material.
Results of the test, valid for 2 years and intended solely for internal use, are scaled from 310 to 677 points and are correlated on the CEFR scales.
In addition to being used as preparation for the TOEFL iBT® test, the TOEFL ITP test offers language schools and academic institutions the opportunity to:
- Determine individual skill levels and define homogeneous group-levels
- Pinpoint the areas to improve and set targets to increase motivation
- Map proficiency and monitor progress